Most swimming classes have a policy of two non-disposable swim diapers, one over the other. They suggest you keep an eye on diapers and change if your LO poops.
The best reusable swim diapers are easily adjustable and have a snug fit around the legs/waist to ensure that the poop can’t get out.
PS! Swim diapers don’t hold pee, or they would absorb all the pool water.
Reusable Swim Diapers
1. Thirsties Cloth Swim Diaper
If you want swim cloth diapers that last, then the Thirsties cloth diapers for swimming are the best. They have an adjustable rise which means you only need two sizes from birth to potty training.
They are soft, which is gentle on your child’s skin and helps prevent rashes. They are trim and non-bulky, making for a more effortless swimming experience.
They have a mesh interior that holds solids but does not absorb liquids. This keeps them lightweight while still being effective.
Hip snaps and double-leg gussets are easy to adjust for the best fit. The waterproof exterior keeps water from entering the diaper.
What We Liked
- These reusable swim diapers for toddlers meet the requirements of most public pools.
- Extra sizes are available for heavier or older children (35-55lbs).
- The hip snaps help prevent the side from sagging on the smaller settings.
- The signature leg gussets provide extra protection from poop leaks.
- They are lightweight, comfortable, and quick-drying.
Design: Multiple prints and colors
Age Range: 3-84 months
Weight Range: 6-55lbs
Interior: 100% polyester
Outer: 100% polyester with waterproof TPU laminate
2. Grovia Reusable Swim Diaper
Grovia has one of the best reusable swim diaper options with a printed waterproof outer and a terry-lined inner.
The stretch side snaps allow for a custom fit that ensures comfort and confidence with no poop spills. They also make the diaper easy to put on and get off, mainly when full.
It is a washable swim diaper that is simple to clean. It is lightweight and non-bulky, making it ideal for putting under a swimsuit.
These diapers are worn on their own and not with a disposable underneath.
What We Liked
- It is a double diaper with an added absorbent layer for loose stools.
- The side snaps make for easy diaper changes, particularly when wet or messy.
- These diapers are budget-friendly and long-lasting.
- They work well as a potty-training diaper for toddlers.
- It is comfortable for long periods in the water.
Design: 5 fun colors
Age Range: 2 months – 4 years
Weight Range: 10-50lbs
Interior: 88% polyester 12% cotton
Outer: 100% water-resistant polyester TPU
3. My Swim Baby Reusable Cloth Swim Diaper
There are certain things to look for in a reusable swim diaper, like a trim design and snug fit. The My Swim Baby diapers have both of these, allowing your child to swim with confidence.
Their design helps hold solids but does not absorb liquids, making it lightweight and effective in the pool.
It has convenient side snaps, which make changing easy. These snaps are also discreet, making these cloth swim diapers attractive.
The elastic on the legs and waist is gentle while still providing a good fit. Some reviewers mentioned that the sizes ran small, making sizing difficult; others noted that they shrunk in the wash.
What We Liked
- These diapers come in custom prints that match the range of hats and rash guard shirts.
- They are affordable for a reusable baby swim diaper.
- The girls’ diapers have a sweet ruffle on the back.
- The elastic at the waist and legs forms a tight seal to keep in poop.
- They dry quickly, making them a convenient option for days at the pool.
Design: Various prints and colors
Age Range: 1 month – 6 years
Weight Range: 9-45+ lbs
4. I Play Reusable Swim Diaper
You do not need another diaper with these reusable swimming diapers. They are affordable and cute, with nine fun prints.
They have an improved waterproof and absorbent design to keep your baby comfortable. There are three layers. One waterproof layer to keep water out. One absorbent layer to keep the poop in. One wick-away layer that prevents rashes.
They have a snug fit around the legs to prevent leakage. The side snaps are convenient but are only on one side, which can be difficult. These cloth diaper swimmers do run small so buy a size up. One reviewer said they faded in chlorine.
What We Liked
- These swimming cloth diapers are cost-effective.
- They have a good size range, suitable for different body types.
- The thick cloth strip and mesh liner mean they don’t stick, but they also don’t puff up.
- These toddler swimming diapers have a UPF of 50+.
- They are environmentally friendly and don’t contain harsh chemicals.
Design: 9 prints for boys and girls
Age Range: 3 months- 4 years
Weight Range: 6-46lbs
Interior: soft cloth strip and mesh
Outer: UPF 50+ waterproof outer
5. Applecheeks Cloth Swim Diaper
These reusable diapers for swimming are super soft and gentle on your baby’s skin, even when wet. This helps prevent irritation and marks.
It has snaps that are convenient for squirming toddlers. The envelope cover design is versatile and allows the fit to be customized when dry and wet.
It has two layers of 100% polyester mesh, allowing water and fluids to flow through but traps solid waste inside.
These swimmy diapers have a UPF of 50, protecting your baby’s sensitive skin. A con is that these are more expensive than other reusable swim diapers for babies.
What We Liked
- These diapers have snaps at the waist and separate snaps at the thighs, customizing their fit.
- These swim diapers come with a warranty, so quality is assured.
- They snap in the front, which is more convenient than side snaps.
- There is a large-size option for older and larger children.
- The mesh makes them quick-drying for the busy summer months.
Design: 8 fun patterns and colors
Age Range: newborn – 7 years
Weight Range: 7-65lbs
Interior: 100% polyester
Outer: 100% polyester
6. Alvababy Reusable Swim Diaper
These are some of the most popular reusable cloth swim diaper options. The 2-piece set is good value for money making this an affordable option.
These swim diapers have a high-quality design with materials to be effective in the water. They are waterproof and lightweight, so your child can swim comfortably.
There is elastic in the waist and legs, which fits snugly enough to prevent any leaks while being gentle on the skin. The interior polyester elastics have a soft, lycra binding for added comfort.
They are adjustable, making them a suitable option for any body shape or size. A con is that the many snaps can seem complicated at first.
What We Liked
- These swim diapers come with a one-year guarantee, so quality is assured.
- The interior mesh lining makes it easy to clean, holds poop, and adds comfort.
- These diapers are machine washable and dryable.
- The many snaps allow you to customize the fit based on your growing child.
- You do not need a diaper underneath these swim diapers.
Design: 14 color combo sets
Age Range: 3 months-2 years
Weight Range: 10-55lbs
Interior: Polyester mesh
Outer: 100% polyester PUL
7. Charlie Banana Reusable Swim Diaper with Drawstring
Made with sustainably sourced Lyocell material, these are some of the best cloth swim diapers available.
They are soft for added comfort and have a broad back elastic and adjustable waistband. The snug sizes provide a good fit containing the mess and ensuring comfortable, carefree play.
You do not need a disposable diaper in conjunction with the swim diaper. You can also use these swim diapers for potty training in the toddler years.
The only con is that they are not as adjustable as other cloth swim diapers, which means you would need to buy new sizes as your child grows.
What We Liked
- These reusable water diapers are climate-neutral certified.
- They have an adjustable drawstring to customize the size and fit.
- The diapers are machine washable and can be tumble dried on a cool setting.
- They contain a lining for extra protection from leaks.
- The side snaps provide a better fit and make them easier to get on and off.
Design: 30 cute prints
Age Range: 3 months – 4 years
Weight Range: 10-44lbs
Interior: 81%Lyocell 19% polyester
Outer: 100% polyester shell face and a polyurethane back
8. Babygoal Reusable Swim Diapers
Non-disposable swim diapers like Babygoal reusable swim diapers are high quality and made to last through many swim lessons, if not multiple kids. The sizing makes the diapers versatile for various children of different ages.
They are waterproof, which makes them comfortable to wear while swimming, and they won’t absorb large amounts of water.
They come in a range of unique designs, making them a stylish statement but a practical part of your child’s wardrobe.
The lightweight and snug design means the diapers do not sag when wet. The mesh lining prevents solids from leaking out while also stopping the fabric from sticking to your baby’s skin.
What We Liked
- The snaps allow for convenient size adjustment for the needs of your family.
- They contain no harmful chemicals, dioxins, or BPA.
- They come with a 100% money-back guarantee for one year.
- They offer great value for money with three diapers per pack.
- Well-placed elastic helps to ensure a snug fit and contain any poop.
Design: Multiple designs and colors.
Age Range: one size fit 0-8 month babies
Weight Range: 10-19lbs
Interior: Polyester mesh lining
Outer: 100% polyester with TPU
9. Wegreeco Baby and Toddler Reusable Swim Diapers
A reusable swim nappy should have a snug fit with added support and protection from elastic. The Wegreeco line of swim diapers provides this.
The fabric is breathable, athletic wicking jersey material that keeps your baby’s skin healthy and prevents rash. The mesh lining keeps solids secure, allowing you and your child to be at the pool confidently.
The sizes are inclusive and making them a good option for toddlers. The snaps make adjusting the size convenient and straightforward.
Reviewers did report that the elastic can leave marks on your baby’s skin and that some water might leak into the diaper.
What We Liked
- Multiple snap options allow for superior customization.
- The snaps and elastic mean a snug fit that will work for poop explosions.
- They are durable and wash well.
- These diapers are good value for money and come in a pack of 3.
- The varied sizing is inclusive and works for different ages and body types.
Design: Stylish patterns
Age Range: 3 months – 3 years
Weight Range: 10-40lbs
Interior: Polyester mesh
Outer: Leak-free polyester
10. Budding Sprout Reusable Baby Swim Diapers
These reusable swim diapers are an excellent option made from high-quality materials designed to be gentle on your baby’s skin.
The breathable fabric helps prevent diaper rash and ensures your baby is comfortable.
The waterproof outer layer ensures the fabric doesn’t become heavy and saturated. The double layer of cloth prevents any solids from leaking while swimming.
This brand of reusable toddler swim diapers has many snaps, which allows for adjustable sizing.
One con is that the sizing can be confusing as it uses the diaper sizes and not weight. It is one of the best washable swim diaper options.
What We Liked
- The designs are gender-neutral, so they make great gifts.
- These diapers are machine washable and dryable in a cool setting.
- The lining is fine rather than a large hole mesh for better poop protection.
- The design is slim enough to fit under a swimsuit if necessary.
- There are more snaps than other brands, which offer more sizing options.
Design: Unisex trendy designs
Age Range: 3 months – 4 years or size N-5
Weight Range: 10-35lbs
How Do Reusable Swim Diapers Work?
Cloth diapers for swimming pool use are different from regular cloth diapers as they do not absorb liquid.
Their purpose is to hold in solid waste but let liquids pass through. To do this, they usually have a mesh lining and waterproof polyester outer.
They are pull-ups or fasten with snaps and help prevent fecal matter from getting into the pool water and spreading bacteria.
They have a tighter fit than regular velcro cloth diapers and have elastic at the legs and waist. Along with adjustable snaps, this keeps any solid waste inside the diaper and prevents too much water from getting inside.
Reusable Swim Diapers vs. Disposable Swim Diapers?
You can reuse Permanent swim diaper options, unlike their disposable counterparts.
The best reusable swim diapers have a snug fit and adjustable snaps, whereas you can’t customize disposable ones.
Reusable swim diapers are better at containing poo as they are designed to keep solids in but let liquids out.
Disposable diapers are designed to absorb some wee, which means they absorb water as well. The water causes them to swell up and sag, which can impact their effectiveness.
Disposables are best for infrequent swimmers, but reusable swim diapers are cheaper and better for active swimmers.
How To Choose Reusable Swim Diapers?
The most important thing to look for when choosing a swim diaper is how adjustable it is and whether it has a PUL outer and mesh inner.
Reusable swim pants for babies either have snaps or are pull-ups. Most parents prefer swim diapers with snaps. Snaps on both sides or multiple snaps are the best.
Snaps allow you to adjust the size of the diaper to fit your child snuggly. A better fit not only makes them more comfortable but also stops any poop from leaking out.
Reusable infant swim diaper options need to be adjustable so they can grow with your child. This makes them cost-effective.
Customizing the fit makes it easier to contain blowouts and is more comfortable for your child. Reusable swim diapers should have elastic at the legs and waist and snaps.
There should be elastic at the legs and waist to ensure a snug fit that prevents poo from leaking out. It should be covered in fabric but not sewn through, or it will scratch.
Sizing happens by weight, and there should be no more than two fingers between the body and the elastic.
Reusable swim diapers should be lightweight and snug. A waterproof outer and a fine hole mesh lining will ensure water isn’t absorbed.
The most commonly used is polyester, and this is durable and washable. Choosing a non-absorbent fabric is important to prevent sagging and poo leaking out.
Snaps work better than Velcro.
Looking for a reusable swim diaper with an ultraviolet protection factor is important. Many of them have a UPF of 50+, meaning 98% of harmful UV rays have no effect.
Not only is sun protection important in your swim diaper, but you should use it in conjunction with a broad-spectrum sunscreen.
Are reusable swim diapers good?
Yes, they are effective for preventing toilet accidents in the pool and healthier for sensitive skin. However, they are also cost-effective and earth-friendly.
Do you put a diaper under a reusable swim diaper?
No. Reusable swim diapers are designed to contain solid waste and let liquid waste pass through. Some public pools do require double diapering, however.
Do reusable swim diapers hold pee?
No. The polyester mesh lining is designed to allow pee to pass through. The diaper is only effective if it does not absorb liquid.
Do reusable swim diapers hold poop?
Yes. The polyester mesh lining effectively stops solid poop from leaking out. That is why a snug fit and elastic at the legs and waist are important.
Do reusable swim diapers work with breastfed babies?
No. The mesh lining is designed to prevent solid waste from leaking. Breastfed babies have water-soluble, soft poop, which could leak out like pee.
Can cloth diapers be used as swim diapers?
No. Cloth diapers are designed to absorb liquid so they would become waterlogged. This would cause sagging and leaking. It would also be uncomfortable and heavy for your child.
How do reusable swim diapers work?
They are worn like regular diapers but are designed to contain poop and not absorb liquids. This prevents fecal matter from contaminating pool water.
How to use reusable swim diapers?
Put the diaper on and secure it with snaps. Use them to create a snug fit that is comfortable but tight enough to prevent poop leakage.
How many reusable swim diapers do I need?
You should have two reusable swim diapers for a visit to the pool. That allows your child to wear one, and you have a spare in case of a blowout.
How to wash cloth swim diapers?
Rinse the diapers to remove poop, chlorine, and pee. Then wash in a machine on cool. Either hang to dry or tumble dry on cool depending on instructions.
How long can a baby wear a cloth swim diaper?
You only need to change the swim diaper if your child has pooped but leaving a wet diaper on can cause rash and irritation.
Why do some places require both disposable and cloth swim diapers?
Some public pools require disposable and cloth swim diapers for health and safety reasons. This double layer provides extra protection from poop.